• 1 large aubergine
• 1 red onion, quartered
• 400g tin of butter beans, drained
For the dressing
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 tablespoon harissa
• 1 tablespoon maple syrup
• salt and freshly cracked black pepper
• rice, quinoa or flatbreads, to serve
For the toppings
• tahini (sesame paste)
• pomegranate seeds
• herbs of your choice
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C . Line a baking pan with baking parchment.
2. To hedgehog the aubergine, cut it in half lengthways. Cut the flesh of each half lengthwise into quarters without cutting through the skin. Then make 6–8 cuts across the flesh to divide the flesh into chunks.
3. Put the aubergine and onion in the prepared pan. Mix the dressing ingredients in a bowl, then gently brush some over the veggies. Add the butter beans to the bowl with the remaining dressing, toss and add to the baking pan.
4. Pop in the oven for 20–25 minutes until everything is golden brown. The beans should be slightly crunchy and veggies brown and soft.
5. Once done, serve with rice, quinoa or flatbreads.