4 strawberries, sliced4 strawberries, finely choppedSmall lemon verbena leaves, for garnishing1 packet of puff pastry Icing sugar
For the crème patisserie:250ml milk3 egg yolks45g sugar30g corn flour½ vanilla pod, seeds scraped25g diced cold butter
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Take half of the pastry and roll out to a thickness of 2mm, using icing sugar instead of flour, and place on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
- Place another layer of paper on top of the pastry and cover with another baking tray. This will prevent it puffing up too much. Bake for 15-20mins until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and immediately cut 3 rectangles, 6cm wide by 12cm long. It must be hot when you cut the pastry, otherwise it will break and crumble.
- Now make the crème patisserie. Add the milk and vanilla seeds into a pan and bring to the boil, set aside.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar vigorously until pale and fluffy, and then add the corn flour and fold in with a spatula. Slowly pour in hot milk whilst whisking. Put the mix back in the pan and cook on a very low heat until very thick, stirring every so often.
- Remove from the heat and mix into the cold butter. Allow to cool before putting in the fridge, covered with clingfilm, for an hour to set.
- When set, whip for a minute and transfer to a piping bag.
- To serve, place one piece of puff pastry on a plate and pipe 2 lines of crème patisserie along it before placing a layer of strawberry slices. Repeat the process in reverse.
- For the ultimate presentation, place your chopped strawberries in a perfect circle around the dessert. Garnish the dish with a few tiny lemon verbena leaves.