75g light corn syrup
455g fresh strawberries (over ripe strawberries are best)
60ml freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
Champagne, to serve, optional
- Combine the water and sugar in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Simmer for 5 minutes, without stirring.
- Remove the syrup from the heat, pour it into a bowl, and set in the refrigerator to cool.
- Place the strawberries and citrus juice in a food processor, and purée until completely smooth.
- Press the purée through a fine-mesh strainer, to remove the seeds.
- Combine the seedless purée with corn syrup and sugar syrup. Chill for 1 hour, or until refrigerator-cold.
- Make the sorbet according to the manufacturer's directions for your ice cream maker. The finished sorbet will be fairly soft so put in the freezer for a couple of hours to firm up, if desired
- Serve with champagne for the ultimate treat.