Makes eight hot cross buns
540g strong white bread flower
2 tsp mixed spice
15g milk powder
60g caster sugar
2 large pinch fine sea salt
10g dried yeast
4 whole eggs
50g unsalted butter, softened
30g mixed citrus peel
40ml vegetable oil
pinch of salt
200g strong white bread flour
70 caster sugar
25ml whole milk
- To make the dough, in a mixing bowl, mix together all the bun ingredients, except the raisins and mixed peel. Work the dough until it comes loose from the sides and becomes smooth and elastic.
- Transfer to an air-tight container and prove in the fridge overnight.
- The next day poor the dough back into a big mixer bowl and work in the raisins and mixed peel.
- Roll into small balls and store in the fridge until ready to use, you can also freeze the mixture.
- To make the cross mixture, whisk together all the ingredients. Use straight away or store in the fridge, it will keep for two days.
- To bake, take out of the fridge or if frozen defrost in the fridge over-night. Spray/dampen with a little water, cover with a lid and prove on top of the oven until double in the original size. Space the buns on a lined tray, brush with egg wash and pipe the cross mixture on top. Bake at 170°C for 16 minutes and turn halfway through baking.
- Once baked, brush with the glaze as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Eat warm, cold or toasted. Delicious served with homemade jam and butter.
Muse by Tom Aikens, 38 Groom Place, Belgravia, London SW1X 7BA, musebytomaikens.co.uk