For the base
2 tbsp cacao powder
6 medjool dates, stoned (pitted) and soaked for 1 hour in water
1 tbsp coconut oil
Pinch of salt
For the filling
250ml coconut oil
120g cacao powder
60ml maple syrup
For the toppings
Pinch of sea salt flakes
The zest of 1 orange or 1⁄2 grapefruit
Lots of seasonal strawberries
- Line a round 20cm (8in) cake tin with a removable base with cling film for easy removal of the cake.
- For the base, place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blitz until you get a sticky consistency.
- Pour the mixture into the lined tin, pressing it into the bottom in an even layer. Crimp the edge by pushing your thumb on the inside of the casing and shaping with your other thumb from the top, working your way all around. Place in the fridge to chill and set for 10 minutes.
- For the filling, gently heat all the filling ingredients in a small saucepan. If your coconut oil is solid, wait until it has melted before mixing until you have a shiny, beautiful mixture. Take off the heat. If your coconut oil is already melted you just need to incorporate all the ingredients and be very careful not to overheat.
- Pour the mixture onto your beautiful tart base. Evenly sprinkle some sea salt and some orange or grapefruit zest on top, then return to the fridge to set for 3 hours or until completely set.
- Top off with lots of seasonal strawberries and edible flowers.