Makes one large loaf
250g plain flour
15g sodium bicarbonate
150g whole meal flour
150g jumbo oat flakes
1 tbsp clear honey
1 tbsp black treacle
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
2. Combine all of the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Make a well in the centre, then mix in the honey, treacle and buttermilk, working everything together lightly with your hands until you have a loose, wet dough.
3. Flour your hands and shape the dough into a round and lift it onto the lined baking sheet. Cut a cross in the top (as the loaf cooks this will help to separate it into quarters).
4. Transfer to the oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when you tap the base with your knuckles.
5. Transfer to a wire rack, cover with a damp cloth and leave to cool.