For the cauliflower curry sauce
Trim of cauliflower
2 red onions (sliced)
1 green chilli (deseeded and sliced)
1 garlic (peeled and sliced)
10g ginger (peeled and sliced)
½ tsp garam masala powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp curry powder
1 tin coconut milk/or powder
20g dairy-free butter
20g dairy-free yoghurt
1 tsp curry paste if any in fridge
1 tsp mango chutney
200ml veg oil
Vegetables for the curry
100g baby spinach
1 green courgette
150g cooked baby potatoes, halved
To create the curry sauce
- In a large sauce pan, heat up 150ml of vegetable oil, then add the thinly sliced onions and start to cook down slowly (remember to season from the start). After 3-4 minutes, add in the chilli, garlic and ginger, and continue to cook down for a long time to build the levels of flavour.
- While these are cooking, chop the cauliflower trim, heat a large frying pan and add the remaining 50ml of vegetable oil. Add the cauliflower trim, cook over a high heat until golden brown all over (this is where we get the flavour!).
- Once the cauliflower has a nice colour, add all the dry spices and toast on a low heat for 1 minute, making sure not to burn them. Then add in the curry paste and mango chutney (a great secret to add a nice sweetness to the dish), followed by the water and coconut milk, and bring to the boil. Add the onions to the same pan and cook for another 2 minutes.
- In a food blender, add the yoghurt and butter at the bottom, then carefully add the curry. Blend on a high speed for 3-5 minutes. Taste, and add chilli powder if you want it spicier.
- Once the curry sauce is blended, place back into a clean saucepan. If it is too liquidy, cook it out with a whisk over a low heat.
To create the curry
- Blanch the lentils in 300ml water for 10 minutes, or until just soft. Then leave to cool - these will be added to the curry sauce once ready.
- Cut the aubergine into quarters and roast in a pan with oil, then drain and leave on the side.
- Bring a sauce pan of water to the boil, then blanch the courgette and cauliflower until just cooked.
- Add all your vegetables and lentils to the curry sauce and mix.
- Once the vegetables are almost warm enough, add in the spinach and cook for 30 seconds.
- Serve immediately.